The use of Total Physical Response techniques in teaching English language school
Investigation of the main reasons English language jelly. Characteristics of the expansion content Total Physical Response; consideration of the basic pedagogical principles of its use in teaching language inostannomu junior and senior school age.
Concerning those findings we can state that overall teachers agree that TPR method is usefull working with little children who are 7-11 years old, beacause children do not learn by thinking, but by doing things. However, teachers adopting TPR activities in teaching process teachers do not use common TPR teaching procedures and techniques as they are not familiar with them except presenting new material and choral drills. The results let us understand, that TPR method is comprehended as a cure just to add variety to English so children would not get bored very fast.
1. TPR method is based on the coordination of speech and action. According to child's psychology language ability is developed through practical application. The research has shown that teachers know that children are interested to learn by doing or actively involved in the learning process. Teachers state that motivation and interest occurs through physical activities which are fun, interesting and memorable. In order to stimulate children motivation teachers chose activities considering child's cognitive development and children taught differently. Second and third class children have more physical activities which include lots of games appropriate tasks for this age grope. Older children, may perceive some activities as childish and beside physical activities need more complex tasks which require thinking.
2. Learners in TPR have the primary roles of listeners and performers. However teacher in Total physical Response, is the one, who decides what to teach, who models and presents the new material. Teacher is encouraged to be well prepared and well organized so that the lesson flows smoothly and predictable. TPR method proposes some general teaching principles which should be applied in teaching-learning process. Even understanding that first and second languages are parallel and should be taught the same way, though not all the teachers go by these principles and still uses old teaching methods, which require children to memorize or learn by heart, forces children to speak and constantly corrects children mistakes. Because of lack of knowledge teachers think that TPR requires lots of preparation; may be too childish for older children; not appropriate for big classes and is very limited as only vocabulary, some nouns and verbs can be learnt.
3. The mostly used activities in schools through TPR are imperative drills, role plays, games and dialogues. Non of the teachers mentioned that they use TPR in teaching children reading and writing. All teachers use similar materials, which help teaching English through TPR: teacher's voice, actions, gestures, classroom objects, different sound and visual materials. However teachers, adopting TPR method to classroom activities, are not familiar with all it's principles, procedures and techniques. In result, they can't succeed good teaching results and stimulate children's motivation. On the other hand they agree that TPR is interesting, memorable and fun.
total physical response english pedagogical
1. Asher, J. (1984). Language by command. The way of learning (IC#6), 35. Retrieved May 2, 2011, from http://www.context.org/ICLIB/IC06/Asher.htm.
2. Diaz, L. (2005). TPR foreign language instruction and dyslexia. Retrieved May 3, 2011, from http://www.dyslexia.com/library/tprlanguage.htm.
3. Garcia, Ramiro. Instructor's Notebook: How to Apply TPR for Best Results. 2002. Sky Oaks Productions, 286pg.
4. Harmer, Jeremy. The Practice of English Language Teaching. 2001. New York: Longman. 370pg.
5. J. Allen Queen 2003 The block scheduling handbook. London: Sage publication Ltd. 251pg.
6. Larsen, Diane and Freeman. Technique and Principles in Language Teaching. 2000.
Second Edition. New York: Oxford University Press.189pg.
7. Lynne Cameron. Teaching languages to young learners. 2001 New York. Cambridge University Press. 258pg.
8. Richard Frost, (2007). British Council. TPR world. Total physical response - TPR. Retrieved March 13, 2009, from http://www.teachingenglish.org.uk/content/total-physical-response-tpr
9. Richads J.C., Rodgers T.S. 2001, Approaches and Methods in Language Teaching. Cambridge University Press, 270pg.
10. Sarah Phillips, Young learners. 2003. Oxford University Press. 176pg.
11. Shuhan C. Wang, Carol Ann Dahlberg, Chiachyi Chiu, Marisa Fang, Mei-ju Hwang Flying with Chinese Teacher Guide 2B. 2008. Published by Marshal Cavendish Education, Times graphics Pte. Ltd. From http://books.google.com/books
12. Slattery, Marry and Jane Willis. English for Primary Teachers. 2001. New York: Oxford University Press.148pg.
13. Tricia David, National Literacy Trust "Talk it through" Nursery World, 16 September 2004, Retrieved May 2, 2011 from http://www.literacytrust.org.uk/talk_to_your_baby/resources/1668_theories.
14. Wendy A. Scott and Lisbeth H. Ytreberg. Teaching English to Children. 1990. NewYork: Longman.115pg.
15. Soenjono Dardjowidjojo, Indonesian JELT. Volume 2, Number1, May 2006. ISSN 0216-1281, Retrieved May 24, from www.googlebooks.com
Context approach in teaching English language in Senior grades. Definition, characteristics and components of metod. Strategies and principles of context approach. The practical implementation of Context approach in teaching writing in senior grades.
дипломная работа [574,3 K], добавлен 06.06.2016
The development in language teaching methodology. Dilemma in language teaching process. Linguistic research. Techniques in language teaching. Principles of learning vocabulary. How words are remembered. Other factors in language learning process.
учебное пособие [221,2 K], добавлен 27.05.2015
Disclosure of the concept of the game. Groups of games, developing intelligence, cognitive activity of the child. The classification of educational games in a foreign language. The use of games in the classroom teaching English as a means of improving.
курсовая работа [88,5 K], добавлен 23.04.2012
Process of learning a foreign language with from an early age. The main differences between the concepts of "second language" and "foreign language" by the conditions of the language environment. Distinguish different types of language proficiency.
статья [17,3 K], добавлен 15.09.2014
The bases of teaching a foreign language. Effective methodology of teaching a foreign language as a second. Using project methods in teaching. The method of debate. The advantages of using games. Various effective ways of teaching a foreign language.
курсовая работа [679,3 K], добавлен 21.01.2014
Methods of foreign language teaching. The grammar-translation method. The direct, audio-lingual method, the silent way and the communicative approach. Teaching English to children in an EFL setting. Teaching vocabulary to children. Textbook analysis.
курсовая работа [142,6 K], добавлен 09.12.2012
The problem of linguistic abilities of a child. Goals and objectives of foreign language teaching preschoolers. Number of pupils in a group, the frequency, duration of sessions. The game as the leading method of teaching preschoolers. Learning vocabulary.
курсовая работа [39,5 K], добавлен 26.06.2015
Features of training of younger schoolboys and preschool children. Kognitivnoe development of preschool children. Features of teaching of English language at lessons with use of games. The principal views of games used at lessons of a foreign language.
курсовая работа [683,5 K], добавлен 06.03.2012
The applied science model. The basic assumptions underlying this model. Received and experiential knowledge. Oldest form of professional education. The most advanced modern teaching strategies. Projects for the development of creative abilities.
презентация [156,0 K], добавлен 09.03.2015
Main part: Reading skills. A Writing Approach to–Reading Comprehension–Schema Theory in Action. The nature of foreign-language teaching. Vocabulary teaching techniques.
курсовая работа [23,8 K], добавлен 05.12.2007